Thursday, January 17, 2013

To Facebook, or not to Facebook


As you can tell, my post has been somewhat inspired by Jessica’s (To Pin, or not to Pin) post. My subject however is about Facebook. I’ve had a love-hate relationship with the social networking giant ever since I first signed on in 2010. Old college friends have connected, great aunts, an old girlfriend last week, and many others who when I see in public I have even blanked on their names (very embarrassing).

So this week I decided to either get with the party and start posting and commenting or leave and stop being a wallflower. See, I’m not a big poster, I’ve really never been. I’ve always had aspirations to update everyone with funny comments or amazing photos. But the only time I usually do comment or post is when a relative starts advocating for more guns in the schools with armed teachers. Yikes!

Don’t get me wrong, I do like seeing and reading everyone’s posts. But one of my goals for 2013 is making deeper connections with friends. I guess quality over quantity to use an overused phrase. I have way too many acquaintances and need to spend more time actually paying attention to good friends.

Being more connected should mean either face to face or one on one versus using social media. Let’s see if I can actually go through with this disconnection and reconnection experiment. It’s been 3 days and I catch myself saying, ‘Check Facebook.’ So, you might just be getting an invitation to tea instead of me liking you on Facebook. Just know I ‘Like You’ even if you don’t see me anymore on Facebook.

0 comments

Post a Comment